Understanding TCP / IP - TCP / IP stands for Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol is a data communications standard used by the Internet community in the process of exchanging data from one computer to another computer on the network Internet.
Because a set of protocols (protocol suite) then this protocol is not capable of standing alone ,. TCP / IP is the most widely used at present.
TCP / IP also has several layers, the layers are:
- IP (internet protocol) that play a role in transmitting data packets from node to node. IP precedes each data packet by 4 bytes (for version IPv4) destination address (IP number). Internet authorities created a range of numbers for different organizations. The organization created the group with the number for the department. IP works on gateway machines that move data from department to organization and then to the region and then to the whole world.
- TCP (transmission transfer protocol) play a role in improving the delivery of correct data from a client to a server. Data can be lost in the middle of the network. TCP can detect errors or lost data and then conduct retransmissions until the data is correct and complete.
- Sockets is a name given to the subroutine package that provides access to TCP / IP on most systems.
TCP / IP is currently used in many local computer network (LAN) connected to the Internet, because it has the properties:
- Is a standard protocol that is open, free and developed separately from computer hardware specific. Because the protocol is widely supported by hardware vendors, so that TCP / IP is the unifier of computer hardware that diverse brands as well as a unifying various diversified software brands so that even on the hardware and software different computers, computer and other computers can communicate data over the Internet.
- Independent of any network hardware. This trait allows TCP / IP to join the many computer networks. TCP / IP can be operated via an Ethernet, a dial-up line, and virtually through a variety of physical media for data transmission.
- Can be used as a public address to every device that uses TCP / IP will have a unique address within a local computer network, or in a global computer network such as the Internet.